6.29.2005

Nurse na

June 28 (Tuesday)

NOTE: Medical jargons ahead!
RLE activities: Return demo of asepsis
Nursing history
Shadowing

I actually forget some procedures in asepsis and I was the first to demonstrate! Nakakakaba lang. :)

Nursing history - We are assigned individual patients in Medicine Forbes ward and we would ask them questions written in our Nursing History form (super dami!). My patient was actually Rita Nolasco... but the first time I saw her I knew right then that she was not the approachable type. ;) She was also alone and her facial expressions made me even more nervous. It took time before I could actually approach her to say my purpose... and I was right. She doesn't want to be interviewed or bothered. She said she was sleepy, I know it's just her excuse. Rejected for the first time, it sucks! ;p I was reassigned to another patient, this time I got the chance to asked questions but to his niece na lang. Mabait naman sila, very cooperative. :) My patient's name was Jorge Leal, 66 of age and his niece was Ma. Rose Joyeth L. Montiano (haba, hehe). I learned a lot though I didn't had the chance to ask the other questions. He was operated due to liver stones.

Shadowing - Favorite part! :) I was super happy with this activity... I had an overview of what really a nurse (or I would do) does inside the ward... from getting the VS (vital signs), bed making, records, injection, etc. :) I got to get the pulse rate of a deaf-mute patient, super bait nung 4th year nursing student; I was inspired. :) After that I learned a bit about bed making... a tedious task! I watched then prepare injections... basta super dami sa nurses station na ginagawa. I watched them get blood sugar of diabetic patients and injection of insulin. I listened on what are the different recordings of patients... andami din, can I do it kaya? We returned to our ward and had a sharing. I said that I could not imagine myself doing anything other than that (being a nurse or a health worker). I could now see the responsibilities of my chosen profession but also the opportunities to learn things, lotsa things. :) Basta cge lang...

*Very bad experience at the hospital canteen... the nerve of that girl! I was enjoying my meal (lunch time) and it's not my purpose to spill some rice on her "precious" feet... she shrieked (eeeiiiiwww!). I said sorry but not really in her face, I said it while I was also removing the other rice on my uniform. When she passed by she said, "Next time learn how to say sorry..." with a really nasty look in her face. Then I faced my friends and told them I said sorry naman e... may pahabol pa yung girl "Make sure I would hear it..." then he stares at me wickedly... as in habang naglalakad siya towards the door... nakipag eye contact naman ako with a taray expression din. Urgh! So I made a mistake but she doesn't have to such a meanie... med student pa man din siya and I know alam niya na bata pa ko (haha). Bully! I don’t know if I really deserve that... hate it!*

Micro para test... hay!

No classes in English... Tita Net (our guidance counselor) meets us instead. Wala lang she told news about nursing. Like:

There is a new policy written on the student contract that freshmen signed. Before it was just that the student must get an average of 2.0 and passed all subjects. Now there is a need of a certificate of good moral character from the advisers before they could be admitted to 2nd year, and that was brought about by our batch. So it shows lang na pasaway talaga batch namin, maybe specifically our section... hehe. ;p

For those aspiring to be a med student (that's me!) there would be an NMAT on Dec and April, I didn't get much the details. Basta there are limited students who are admitted from the university, plus the grade requirement for females is 2.0 compared to males' 2.25. So unfair! That's because the female applicants outnumbers the male applicants. Wish ko lang I could be one of them! :)


Scholarships up for grabs! Free tuition, miscellaneous, books, and monthly allowance! Whoa! Basta 13 lahat... different sponsors. 10 lang ata yung sa college of nursing and the other 3 from other organizations of some sort, hehe. :) Syempre, for those who are really deserving of the scholarship... and that's not you JIM... sakim! ;p


This year only 95% (passing rate) of the students passed the board exams... awww, how sad! ;( 18 didn't passes and 3 didn't get the exam...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home